Above all else guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life. Proverbs 4:23

June 4, 2010

Better Together

I want to share something with you that Scott Grabendike, senior pastor at Westbrook Church in Hartland, Wisconsin, wrote in one of his emails:

There is a line that runs through one of Jack Johnson songs, that says, it’s always better when we’re together. I am pretty sure the song was written about a love interest, but the lyrics are equally true of the church. It’s always better when we’re together. We are stronger when we are together. We are a fuller representation of the Body of Christ when we are together. Our worship can be more vibrant and meaningful when we are together. In general, “we are better when we are together”.
It has always been a part of God’s design that we would be together. This does not mean that every introvert in the church needs to become an extrovert - some people will still need their time apart from people. It does mean, however, that it is God’s design that we experience and express unity when we assemble as the church.  Jesus in John 17 describes the unity that he has with God the Father and prays for this same kind of unity for his followers.  "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me (John 17:20-21).
 
The purpose of our unity and togetherness is not merely so that we can benefit, but so that the world will benefit - so that the world may believe you have sent me.

Check out the song! It's a good one... Better Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment