Above all else guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life. Proverbs 4:23

April 22, 2010

So Baby, Don't Give Up

There is a lot to talk about. I will apologize in advance for my novel here :)

First of all, THIS is incredible. I can hardly believe it.

There has been a common theme in my life the past couple of days.
God loves me. And He's got my back.
This might sound overly simple or not like it's that great of a deal (it's not like you've never heard it before, right?), but I've been thinking about it and IT'S SO TRUE!

Bullet points might be the best way of conveying my thoughts, so here goes nothing...
  •  This past Friday, a group called Equality Ride came and spent the day on Bethel's campus. A letter sent out by Dennis Engbrecht, Bethel's senior vice president, explained that "Equality Ride is a function of SoulForce, a gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender advocacy organization founded by Mel White, formerly associated with Dr. Billy Graham’s ministry.  Equality Ride consists of 20-25 ‘Riders’ (a different group each year) who over the last five years have been visiting several college campuses, military academies, and seminaries that have policies prohibiting homosexual behavior.  A few of these institutions have refused to allow Equality Ride on their property resulting in the arrest of several ‘Riders’.  Equality Ride views this as an effective means of gaining national publicity and support.  However, most members of the Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) have adopted a response similar to that of Bethel College: we have agreed to meet with the ‘Riders’ for the sake of engaging them in a Scriptural understanding of the love and truth of Christ, particularly as it pertains to sexual purity.” 
During that day I was able to host a Rider named DJ. Personally, I am thankful for Equality Ride's presence here. It has caused Bethel's campus as a whole to unite in conversation over current topics; seeking "truth" from the Bible as "the divinely inspired Word of God." I am so proud of Bethel's administration, faculty and staff -- for their clear extensions of love and respect, even during the times when it was not returned. Christ is definitely alive on campus, and I am encouraged to be able to call this place my current home.
  • After eight-ish hours of having one intense conversation to the next, and from moving around from one place to the next, I was exhausted and rather spent. I was then able to just chill out and have a spaghetti-date (with myself and the Big Guy) in Suffish. I listened to more of David Platt's Radical series -- refreshing, but SO challenging. Following that I headed on over to the ER for our Jazz Percussion Ensemble concert. One of my friends mentioned to me that after an exhausting day, that wouldn't be something that they would look forward to, but it actually really helped me. I was able to allow myself to unwind, plus listen to some tunes. Even later that night, a few of my friends prayed and worshiped together in Shiloh. I really love it there. God also gave a word to my one friend that He was anointing my time in Texas this summer. That really encouraged me, as I was feeling a little nervous that River City's youth pastor that I was going to be interning under this summer in Texas, is stepping down. God, You are so in control!
  • Speaking of Texas, I finally have a date now that I am heading down. And on top of that, instead of flying, I will be riding with a friend here at Bethel. She is a senior and did the internship two summers ago, but is going back down again. That in-and-of-itself is an answer to prayer, as it is saving me some money -- not to mention we will REALLY get to know each other :) On a similar but different note, this past Sunday at Epic a friend told me they would give me some change (spare coins) for Texas, and then ended up handing over a wad of bills totaling $30. Amazing! I just found out that another family from Epic actually just sent in $50 on my behalf as well. Praise the Lord - and so I keep breathing and trusting.
  • Saturday night Sodexo (Bethel's food service) partnered with Feed The Hungry for the second time this semester to bring the homeless people that we spend weekly time with at a bus stop in South Bend, onto Bethel grounds and provided an awesome meal for everyone. They put linens on the round tables and passed plates around that were literally overflowing, to give it a "family" feel. I think that is so special and it was a ton of fun! I seem to always have rather deep conversations with people that either are currently in or have been in the shoes of my dad. God is really working on and in my heart.
  • The other day a girl came up to me and asked for forgiveness. She explained that she has a friend who doesn't like me and has openly talked poorly about me quite often. As a result of that, she said that she let that control her view of me without even knowing anything about me. Even though I am sad that there is someone who feels that way towards me, I rejoice knowing that the world hated Christ first, and I cling to my confidence found only through Him.
  • Did I tell you that I will be an RA in Tuckey next year?! I'm definitely super pumped for it -- good, bad and ugly! Please pray for me when you think of it. 
  • Sunday I was able to spend some time living life with the Spiritual Life team at Hacienda. Free food is always great... I mean, uhh.... I love them! :)
One more day left. Three classes. Two essays. One quiz. One research paper. Four exams. And so the countdown begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment