Above all else guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life. Proverbs 4:23

November 9, 2010

Silly Bands at Hero's Camp


Last weekend my friend Rebecca and I moseyed on over to a place named Hero’s Camp just a short drive from campus. It was for one of our classes. Our assignment (still ongoing) is to observe three different ministries focused on youth that we have no connections to. Hero’s camp has an intentional mission of reaching out to “at-risk” youth, specifically those without positive father figures in their lives. As Becca and I were leaving after a couple solid hours, we both prayed in the car before we drove off. My first words were, “God, I think you just broke my heart.” Observing, even serving and being a part of something similar to Hero’s Camp was nothing new to me, which is why I was so surprised and moved by its impact on me. Let me try and walk you through my experience that morning. 

Rebecca and I walked through the doors, we were greeted by a man named PJ. He was helpful with sharing the vision behind why Hero’s Camp exists, parts of its history, as well as some recent stories of impact. As we learned about the mission of Hero’s Camp, we also found out that Pat, the leader of it, uses one of his passions being basketball to reach the kids and teens. As we walked through the gymnasium, he turned to us and shared “Won’t listen unless they’re warm.” That was so interesting and so practical, especially in the cooler seasons when many of them walk there or take the bus. To be honest, it threw me back, and definitely was not anything that I expected to hear. Both PJ and Pat also shared with Rebecca and I the reality that really does break their hearts, and the stories that cause tears to fall from their eyes each day. Specifically they shared a commonality about the community there, that families really do heat their homes with an over, and they go to sleep and wake up knowing that “someone has been murdered in their bedroom, because they can’t afford anything different.”

After we had been given a tour, and asked a few questions, we no longer heard the dribble of basketballs, and went over and joined a bible study, led by Pat. He spoke about the importance of Scripture, prayer and fasting. Each of them had a copy of The Message. Often we don’t even hear or learn about these things growing up in the church, so that was refreshing. And talk about on portable risers in a basketball gymnasium. Amen. He covered a lot, read through Isaiah 40, spoke very practically and even taboo, and it was obvious that he knew their names. He was not afraid to call them out, meet them on their turf, speak their language, and get down and dirty. I really appreciated that. One thing that really stuck out to me was when he called a particular guy out on the spot. After a few moments, he said, “Do you know why I push you? It’s because I see something in you, and I’m not willing to let that go.” To me, that was so important, and I can respect that so much, because it showed that he cares, and it offers a level of support and consistency/expectation that might not be there at home for most of the kids and teens. 

The bible study time was primarily led by Pat, although highly interactive, and the basketball time was 100% inclusive. Also, there was a craft time for the younger ones in the foyer where they could “Pimp Your Turkey”. I thought that was hilarious!

A few interesting things that I took away from my visit to Hero’s Camp was first of all, something that Pat prayed during the bible study time. “Lord fascinate us in the wait.” I thought about it, and took it as, “Lord, fascinate us, Your children, with Yourself, as we wait for Your son.” Wow, that is so incredible! Pat also shared with us that he tries to not talk about what is right and wrong, because he believes that both are wrong, but rather to focus on what is righteous. That is an interesting thought. Third, as Pat prayed for Rebecca and I before we left, he prayed that as we go back to Bethel’s campus, that we would be rooted in prayer first, before anything else. And to not pray for revival, because revival is an ebb and flow, it comes and goes, but for justice. “As we seek out the emotions of Your heart, reveal to us Your compassion, Your justice” he prayed.

Lastly, while I was at Hero’s Camp I met a girl named Presha. She was an eight year old girl with mad basketball skills. When I first met her she did not give me much while I was sitting by her, but as I was leaving I gave her a “cool handshake”, and she noticed the silly bands that I was wearing. We both had an orange and purple one. I asked her if she wanted to trade, so we swapped, and I told her that every time I looked at my new bracelet I would pray for her. 

Lord, let me not forget this.

No comments:

Post a Comment