Above all else guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life. Proverbs 4:23

March 13, 2015

Update || I've Seen Too Much

California. Nevada, Utah, Colorado. Pre-summer voyage. 
Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah. Summer job-life.
Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota. Post-summer travel. 

August 10th came around and so did my first steps back onto Wisconsin land, in months. Much land and many days had occurred since the last time I had realistically and semi-literally (is that a thing?) embraced my geographical roots. 

Full swing became my thing almost instantaneously; work, sleep, eat, and repeat. I honestly thought that since I grew up in the area, I knew all of what it had to offer (narrow-minded perhaps?), and allowed some pretty real cynicism to dwell because of it. Hopelessness often reveals the belief of a lie somewhere in the picture, so I began to just ask the Lord about it, and invite Him into my new-esque process of readjusting to oh too familiar Midwest life. 

Ever heard of Jason Upton? Not random, I promise. 

He's a pretty well known worship leader who travels internationally and talks about God's presence being real, etc. Anyways, Jesus loves Instagram. Just follow, just follow. Me. On Instagram. Just kidding - this post, follow along, folks. I was perusing the all-to-time-consuming social media photo app and came across a shot from a weekend in Redding, CA (my former stomping ground) that had Jason tagged in it. I thought, "Man, that name rings a bell... Wait!" Memories came of my high school years where I would listen to ONE of his songs; I only knew one, but it was enough to ring a bell. Sparing the nitty gritty details, I came to learn about the Upton family's residence in my backyard (figuratively speaking, of course), and in the least-shocking way to those who personally know me, did not hesitate one bit to reach out to perfect strangers. For the past almost 5 months now, they've become like a second family; extending love and support and an invitation to embrace authentic community. This has looked like an emerging "church" gathering in the greater Milwaukee area, with several of their friends who've moved to the area from all over the country, because of a simple vision of Jesus in the city and a desire to partner with what He's already doing. In stepping out and connecting with a perfect stranger, my hearts cry was responded to with utter extravagance and still is abundantly more than I had even thought was possible! Sounds about right.

 Around that same time I met up with an old mentor of mine, which led to a phone call to a couple and a basic inquiry to rent some living space from them. Having spent 29 years living and working in Saudi Arabia for the oil industry, and now "grandparent-aged," they've had a home to themselves for years. I called and asked about renting their basement space, and their response was "No, we actually don't rent anything around here, but you're more than welcome to come live with us. Just let us know how long you're thinking, though it makes no difference to us!" What. Can this be real life? So, yep, free housing. Thank you, Daddy! Better than I could have imagined! And little things in abundance like an extra car space in their garage - big deal during winter of course! So. Come visit me? You can stay in the guest Princess room.

Sunday, January 25th I received a phone call from very good friend. 
February 2nd, 8 days later, said friend and I embarked on a very long road trip together. 
Minneapolis, MN; Omaha, NE; Denver, CO; Durango, CO; Grand Canyon, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA.
   
Upon return to the cheese state, I accepted a new job at a juvenile correctional facility in a therapeutic unit for adolescent girls who've been commercially sex trafficked. Definitely new. Definitely still learning. 

And in just a few weeks, I'll be visiting Seattle, WA for the very first time. Unintentionally over my birthday, so that will be fun. 

Notice a theme at all? Okay, I'll give it to ya. OUT. WEST.

I like to tell people that tease about all my travels and seemingly foolish, sometimes envied journeys that I've just seen too much. And truly, I've had some incredible opportunities. Through them though, I've seen too much. Too much to, well... stop. It's forever in my DNA. With that said, a bit of my heart has been left in each community I've learned to love and learn from, and there's a special drive in me to return out West. The Pacific NorthWest, to be exact. And the rest... unknown. The details are just hypothetical at best. But the dream is real. 

Most naturally futuristic, I'm learning to embrace my dreams, yet thrive and find peace and home where I'm at. Being present is quite the concept, huh? 

So, yeah. First update in a w h i l e. That's pretty much it. Not easy, but good. Good. 


Sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment